Access Talent Group are recruiting for a Structural and Civil Engineering consultancy, who are looking for a Highways Engineering Manager to lead on the design, development and procurement of highway related schemes for the service as a technical highway specialist within the public sector. Ensure that the Council’s legal obligations as Highway Authority under the Highways Act, Road Traffic Act and other allied legislation are fulfilled.
- Lead on the development of feasibility proposals for future highway asset related schemes taking proposals through from concept through to detailed design for LTP jobs (Traffic Calming & Road Safety Scheme, school safety schemes, pedestrian crossing facilities, bus layby, junction capacity improvements, disabled access measures, Safer Routes to School, traffic signal upgrades and pedestrian crossing road safety measures, cycling improvement schemes).
- Oversee the co-ordination of other specialist services as well as applying your detailed engineering knowledge to ensure that designs which are produced comply with all national standards and internal requirements.
- Act as a technical specialist providing advice and direction on technical requirements to ensure development of compliant and effective designs, advising elected members and other stakeholders on potential solutions to engineering problems whilst at all times acting as ambassador for the service.
- Be responsible for the production of contract specifications and bills of quantity necessary to effectively procure civil engineering works and provide robust estimates of construction costs and anticipated delivery programmes via Minor Framework Contract.
- Lead on procurement of specialist technical services and contractors for the construction of works including liaising with the council’s procurement unit to ensure compliance with Contract Standing Orders.
- Organise the pre-construction contract meetings for projects.
- Manage the budget and programme for your projects taking effective action, in conjunction with the Highway Engineering Manager to mitigate any under/over-spends or delays to programme to ensure works are completed within budget and timescale targets.
- Act as Principal Designer for projects and ensure compliance with all requirements of Construction (Design & Management) Regulations.
- Comply with all appropriate health and safety legislation associated with the performance of this role.
- Lead and plan communication/consultation activities associated with the delivery of projects ensuring that effective communication is established and maintained with all key stakeholders including elected members and senior managers throughout the delivery process.
- Ensure the timely production of accurate factual technical/committee reports on projects and programmes which you are allocated to enable effective decision making to take place.
- Be competent in the use of technical computer software (AutoCAD) necessary for carrying out your duties including those packages necessary for the production of engineering drawings, assessment of engineering criteria and production of reports, presentations and budgets together with effective time recording and budgetary management.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Preparation of Bill of Quantities and method of measurement.
- Highways Design standards & guidance – DMRB, Manual for Streets, LTN 1/20.
- NEC 3 and 4 forms of contract.